What We've been Watching:
Netflix continues to be our main source of entertainment. It's nice to have commercial-free ‘programming.’
- Orange is the New Black - be warned, it is only for adults.
- The 4th Season of Arrested Development. We're watching a second time and catching more of the quick jokes and barbs. My favorite characters continue to be Gob and Buster, and Lucille 1. Love the Fozie and Chachi appearances too. It’s received some ‘meh’ reviews, but we really enjoyed it.
- First Hoffman Family Vacation, just the four of us, not visiting relatives (which is nice too). We called it quits on camping when the going get too hot. I'm perfectly fine with this.
- Xavier started Speech Therapy.
- Kindergarten prep for Aidan. He starts August 7th. I collected up his contribution of the classroom supplies. I feel like I scored some good deals too.
On My Mind
- Stitch Fix – OMG love. I ordered my first Stitch Fix box and it was great. I needed more business/professional wear. Claire picked out 5 versatile pieces and they all worked. I bought the whole box and had a nice new, chic, comfortable outfit for my interview today.
- I took some serious reflection time thinking through the pros and cons of a career opportunitiy that had presented itself. I decided to pass on the opportunity to be closer to home, because it just wasn't sitting right with me. The benefits were subpar and I just wasn't really excited about the position. As soon as I decided "no," my stomach unwound and I instantly felt more at ease. Then, just like magic, the sales position I've been waiting for, appeared. Hopefully, in August I will be about excellent interviewing skills.
Books and Blogs
- Over the past couple of months I have amassed a large eBook collection. Recently I've read books on the following topics: CVS shopping/frugality, simple living/get rid of clutter, and style/beauty books. I've enjoyed Trina Holden's Embracing Beauty and Hayley Morgan's No Brainer Wardrobe. It feels good to take a little more pride in dressing. It reminds me of the Jessica prior to becoming a Mom and moving to the Burbs. I need to remember that Jessica more. And cute clothes make me happy. I cannot lie.
- Audio Books- Bringing Up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman and Happy at Home by Gretchen Rubin. Reading Happy at Home reinforced that you need to work at being happy. Intentionally doing little things that you enjoy. I enjoy French things, audiobooks, feeling stylish about what I'm wearing, quiet reading-time, and dinners with friends and family. I was able to partake in all of these and felt happier because if it. Bring Up Bebe was both informative and dreamy. Informative and encouraging tips for parenting and dreamy because she was able to do this in Paris and have full access to comprehensive medical coverage and national daycare programs that work to raise good little gourmet French boys and girls. I really wish we had better national support for childcare and preschool. And I could really go on about how I feel we are all entitled to full healthcare coverage as a basic human right.
- I've recently started reading Modern Mrs Darcy on a regular basis and enjoying Anne's posts. I've also been pushing myself to comment more on posts that I read and trying to connect more with the other comment-makers out there.
I have NOT been into: gardening, which is odd for me. I think I've been avoiding the garden because I'm afraid of knocking my hips out of wack. In May I planted a couple of flowers and sat with the wrong posture and my hips were in pain for several weeks afterward. Also, I've just been tired by the time I get home and we wrestle the boys into bed. There's always next year for grander gardening plans.
On the referral of Anne at Modern Mrs Darcy, I'm linking up with HopefulLeigh and other bloggers talking about what they've been into for July 2013. Check us out!